Reading and Phonics
At Oasis Academy Clarksfield, we believe reading is the catalyst to support children's learning across the whole curriculum. We strive for children to become enthusiastic, independent, and reflective learners who are able to read with fluency, accuracy and understanding.
Reading is delivered using varied structures to ensure the mechanics of reading are developed. Comprehension is explicitly taught in reading lessons but also practiced across all subjects and, perhaps most importantly, there is a culture which develops a love of literature and exposure to high quality literature for all. Wherever possible, and without compromising the quality of the literature, the texts have been linked to pupils learning in science, history and geography to further enhance knowledge and provide a purpose and content to writing, particularly for non-fiction.
- Whole class reading – daily reading lesson based on a quality text where comprehension is taught and developed through VIPERS when responding to the text.
- Daily guided reading for EYFS, KS1 and the L20% of readers
- Independent reading using accelerated reader for children no longer on book bands
- Traffic light readers- children read 1:1 with an adult depending on their attainment level and engagement with reading at home
- Additional comprehension taught using VIPERS approach and Inference interventions.
- Reading as a Golden Thread across the curriculum.
- Immersive experience promoting a love of reading and high-quality literature.
- Read Write Inc phonics in EYFS and Lower school and for a small number of children in Upper school
- Comprehension taught using the guided reading texts.
- Home readers linked to guided reading texts and supported with phonically decodable texts.
- Taught as a Golden Thread with specific pedagogy used in all lessons.
- Traced, revisited and linked over both key stages.
- Tier 2 and Tier 3 vocabulary explicitly shared and taught using cognitive science to embed knowledge.
- Closing Vocabulary Gap approach embedded
- ELKLAN to support the development of early language.
- Wellcomm as a HQFT approach and selected intervention
- Speed Reading across the curriculum with a focus on subject specific words
- Pre-teaching of vocabulary across the curriculum for all pupils
- Blank level questioning as a QFT approach in all lessons
- SALT intervention with a specific focus on vocabulary for children with an identified need
- Bespoke, research informed approach to our own ‘Writing Process’ through instructional teaching, using 'The Write Stuff' as a basis of our teaching
- Mixture of fiction, non-fiction and poetry
- Grammar taught within SPAG and writing lessons.
- Handwriting and spelling continually revisited with a daily discrete lesson
THE ELEMENTS OF READING
Phonics Screening Check
At the end of Year 1, every child is expected to take a Phonics Screening Check which is designed to confirm whether pupils have learnt phonic decoding to an appropriate standard. It will also identify pupils who need extra help to improve their decoding skills.